What Is the Cochlear Implant?
A cochlear implant is a device that can provide useful hearing and improved communication ability for persons who have a severe to profound hearing loss, including those with sensorineural (nerve) loss. The cochlear implant provides an important option for individuals who receive little or no benefit from hearing aids.
What Are the Benefits?
- The benefits of the cochlear implant will vary from person to person.
- The experiences of most all recipients have demonstrated an improved ability to communicate particularly when hearing through the implant is combined with lipreading.
- Many recipients of the cochlear implant can understand speech through hearing alone.
- Many can understand speech well enough to communicate on the telephone.
- Communication skills are improved bringing an improved quality of life.
Who Can Benefit?
A person may qualify if he/she:
- Has a severe to profound hearing impairment.
- Cannot understand speech with a hearing aid.
- Feels that being able to hear would improve his/her ability to communicate and enhance the quality of life.
- Is in good health and at least 2 years of age.
How Can I Get Additional Information?
Speak with your hearing health care provider or the cochlear implant center in your area or contact the Cochlear Corporation Implant Hotline: (800) 458-4999 (voice/TTY) or Advanced Bionics Corporation at (800) 678-2575 (voice), (800) 678-3575 (TTY).