Here are some tips for communicating with someone with a hearing loss:
- Speak up, but do not shout.
- Speak slowly and clearly — don’t overemphasize.
- Rephrase rather than repeat a misunderstood sentence.
- Cut out background noise by moving away or turning off the TV or radio.
- Face the person in good light.
- Do not obscure your mouth with your hand or cigarette, and avoid chewing gum when you speak.
- Ask the person what can be done to make communication easier.
- Dealing with Hearing Loss
- Communication Tips for Families
- Work-Related Tips
- The Cochlear Implant
- Assistive Devices